Saturday, June 18, 2011

Fashion Fitness

Since my cute dark denim jeans don't fit what about the rest of my clothes? I was unemployed for eight months and so was my wardrobe. My fashion during this time period consisted of a t-shirt, hoodie, jeans or yoga pants, which are pretty forgiving. I would have been a perfect candidate for TLC's What Not To Wear. Action was required. I needed to try on my clothes and make some executive decisions. I was afraid though. It's always depressing trying on clothes that don't fit, but it's worse to keep them around and torture yourself every time you go to wear them. The adventure began. Many clothes ended up on their way to the Goodwill. I need to buy a few more pairs of pants since I was starting work. However, my funds were limited so only a few essential pieces were on the list. This too was a rude awakening as my pants size jumped up by two since the summer.

The jeans I was trying to get back into were in the middle of the before and after so my goal was not unrealistic or unattainable. After this experience my motivation was intensified.

I feel I must interject my disclaimer before I go any further. My body will never look like it did when I was 20. I am a woman now and I have curves and to tell you the truth I love them. Gap even makes curvy jeans just for women like me. I know at what weight I feel comfortable and that's what I am working towards. I will not be a size four. In fact sign me up for a size eight please. Along with weight management fitness is a great stress reliever and improves overall health and wellness. Who couldn't use some of that?


As for my wardrobe I was limited. I needed to step up my fashion game as well; the key accessories. All you need to update an outfit are a few accessories. Here are several ways to help get ideas. Window shopping; I know it can be torture if you are not buying but remember it's about ideas and working with what you got. Catalogues and magazines are also a good source for ideas. Check out what some other fashionistas are wearing. For example you can take a pair of jeans a white t-shirt and maybe an old suit jacket; voila a new look. Highlight that work ensemble with a chunky necklace. Mix and match your essential pieces. How about slacks a cute tee and a vest. I also tried new color combinations. The color wheel helped me find the colors that work well together; it also defines complimentary and analogous colors. Color is my friend. Don't forget about the shoes. I know there are some shoes in my closet that haven't seen the streets in a while. Bring those cuties out and spice up that outfit. Change out your purse. Throw on a scarf. The possibilities are endless you are only limited by your fashion imagination. Remember fashion is not only about looking your best it's lots of fun!